Saturday, June 25, 2022 – Round Three Recapadmin
Xander Schauffele ended his third round at the 2022 Travelers Championship exactly where he began – with sole possession of the lead after shooting a 3-under par 67 at TPC River Highlands on Saturday. He carded a 2-under par front nine, made his first bogey of the tournament on the 13th hole of his third round, then broke out of a tie for the lead with birdies on Nos. 16 and 17. At 17-under, Schauffele held a one-stroke lead over Patrick Cantlay, the reigning PGA TOUR Player of the Year. Cantlay, paired with Schauffele on Saturday, shot a bogey-free 63, the low round of the day.
Sahith Theegala had three birdies and an eagle in a seven-hole span of the back nine, shooting a 64 to get to 14-under par and in third place, three strokes behind Schauffele. Kevin Kisner (13-under), Martin Laird (12-under) and K.H. Lee (12-under) all shot 66 and were in fourth place and a tie for fifth, respectively. Amateur Michael Thorbjornsen, playing on a sponsor exemption, was in a tie for seventh place at 11-under after his own 66.
First-round co-leader Rory McIlroy shot a 2-over par 72 and is tied for 31st. Defending champion Harris English was in a tie for 11th at 10-under par with a group that included Scottie Scheffler, the No. 1-ranked player in the world.
Tournament play concludes tomorrow at TPC River Highlands, with the final pairing of Schauffele and Cantlay teeing off at 1:55 p.m.
There are still tickets available for the tournament at TravelersChampionship.com.
Xander Schauffele 63-63-67—193 (-17)
Patrick Cantlay 64-67-63—194 (-16)
Sahith Theegala 67-65-64—196 (-14)
Kevin Kisner 67-64-66—197 (-13)
Things to Know
- Xander Schauffele seeks sixth career PGA TOUR title and first individual stroke-play victory since the 2019 Sentry Tournament of Champions
- Patrick Cantlay, who partnered with Schauffele to win this season’s Zurich Classic of New Orleans, closes in on his eighth career TOUR victory and seventh top-5 finish of the season with the low score of the day (63)
- Schauffele and Cantlay play in the final round together for the second time in their careers on TOUR
- After making his professional debut at the 2020 Travelers Championship (MC), Sahith Theegala seeks first career TOUR title in his 38th start to become the second rookie winner on TOUR this season
- In his third PGA TOUR start, 20-year-old amateur Michael Thorbjornsen (T7) seeks to become first amateur to win on TOUR since Phil Mickelson at 1991 Northern Telecom Open
Third-Round Lead Notes
7 Third-round leaders/co-leaders at Travelers Championship to win since 2000: Chez Reavie/2019, Jordan Spieth/2017, Freddie Jacobson/2011, Stewart Cink/2008, J.J. Henry/2006, Peter Jacobsen/2003, Phil Mickelson/2001
13 Third-round leaders/co-leaders to win individual stroke-play events on TOUR this season (most recent: Matt Fitzpatrick/U.S. Open)